Sunday, August 12, 2012

Trail course at home

Tonight I set up a trail course with what I had around.  I put a bucket on a barrel - made a big square out of PVC pipe - and then an "L" with my driving lines anchored by my bottle of endure and a brush.  Well a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do...

We did pretty good - for a first time I think.. although JR thought the bucket was for eating and not lifting - so I think I get 10 more points for  added difficulty.  We did pretty ok... need some refinement..breathing would be a plus as well.


After that - we went to the arena and darned it there wasnt a bear or MOMO in the southwest corner of the arena.  I didnt see it - but JR told me all about it. I had my first experience with really nervous JR.   Our neighbor has been parking a different car there every day and well - today was a bear shaped car and it made the wind come up.  That scares a horse.  Then everything moved - dogs were barking and chasing other horses and - well it was more that a horse could take. Feet started moving and tension started coming from the ground and infected me.

I got off. .... and led JR through the scarey areas on foot until I was sure there were not bears there in reality.  JR is very convincing!! Actually I was thinking rattelsnakes and big hairy spiders with a million babies.. JR agreed.  So we walked thru the scary parts and got back in the arena, I got on and worked in the non scary part. Doing point to point,  Until I was no longer nervous.  Then Jr calmed down and we got to work.  Lots of point to points and 1/2 clover leafs.  Then 3/4 clover leafs.  The we did point to point from the non scarey line to the scarey line.  At a walk - then a trot - then a walk.  Then we cantered up the safe side. Lots of interesting point to point - until we forgot where we were and were in the now NON scary - scary area.  We did sidepassing in the :safe area: and rested close to the now non scarey area.

Whew - what a thing... we ended up walking the whole arena x2 - trotting x1 and went the other way x1.  A quick canter to the gate with a FAST stop and we rubbed on each other.... All done today.  Oh and Did I mention our neighbors watched the whole thing.. I needed an audience to practice for Saturday - Right?  And PS - Mike, I wore my helmet..:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment