Monday, August 20, 2012

When things go wrong

So you would never guess from this photo that things are getting ready to go sideways.  We look great together dont we??  foxtrotting along....

JR has been with me for a week and a half and it has been so much fun.  We have played and worked through things and practiced.  It has been his job and he does it well.

We went to our first show at  Longview Horse park near Grandview MO,  up by KC.  I was thrilled to have all of my FTH friends and Mike there.  As an added bonus - Lauren came ( photo above taken by her) Kelley , Jay , Logan Trent and associated GFs.  It was awesome to have them there.

A couple of things to note. Western chaps on a big girl are problematic.  They are made to rest on your hips.  Well my hips are quishy to it is hard to keep them up.  And they weigh a TON - and are sooooo long that you cant really walk - I learned how to fold them so you can walk -- at least until they fall again.  There has GOT to be a better way.  I will figure it out.  Anyway - they look cool when your underwear is not showing.

On to the event.  I can say it was a success - in that I was able to manage the issues and come out on the topside of the horse without a runaway.  But the freight train was ready to pull away from the station about 1/2 way through.  We left the arena with no mail.. but with our dignity in tact.

So here are the things that changed...in the week prior - see if you can figure out where we went wrong:
1. changed bridles to an over the ear bridle the week before
2. changed feed all at once
3. changed stirrup length
4. left our buddies and were very unhappy about that
5. short changed the warm up some
6. it was storming
7. It was our first show together.
8. We were unknowingly sore all over

ANSWER - All of the above

It is strange how things creep up on you.  Little things that don't seem to make a big difference on thier own - but come a BIG deal when added together,


We now know what to practice and where our holes are.  And I know how to be a better leader. 
 I miss him and have really enjoyed riding him and bonding.  I wish he were here with me ..:-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment